10 Fun Facts About Champion Sportswear
Champion is an iconic sportswear brand that has seen a huge revival in recent years. In the 1980s and 1990s it was common to see people of all ages from kids to adults
wearing Champion sweatshirts. Here are 10 fun facts about Champion sportswear:
1. The company was originally established as Knickerbocker Knitting Company by Abe
and Bill Fainbloom in 1919 in Rochester, New York. Champion turns 100 years old in
2. Champion produced uniforms for all NBA teams during the 1990s, and some NFL
teams during the 1980s and 1990s.
3. Champion was the official outfitter for the USA Basketball Men’s Senior National
Team, who competed in the historical 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain.
Commonly known as the “Dream Team”, this group of players went on to win the
Gold Medal and this helped Champion establish their reputation as a powerhouse
sportswear brand in Europe.
4. Champion became famous for creating the hooded sweatshirt. It was designed and
developed with practicality in mind. It was introduced as a warm up or “sideline”
garment for athletes to wear in-between game time or practice.
5. Champion also pioneered the first cotton football jerseys, the first reversible tee, the
first breathable mesh shorts and the first comfortable, supportive jogging bra for
women in 1977.
6. Reverse Weave is a popular fabric found in Champion sweatshirts. The products are made with the grain of the fabric running sideways instead of vertically, and includes side panels to help maintain its shape and fight shrinking.
7. Reverse Weave was so sought after in Japan that thrift stores would import tons of
clothes from the United States and allow enthusiasts to sort through the bales of
clothing to find the garments.
8. Recently Champion has been collaborating with some big names in fashion such as
Supreme and Vetements to bring you fresh gear. There’s even a Champion x
Beams x Thrasher collection featuring bucket hats, t-shirts, and jackets!
9. The teenager who achieved internet stardom with the “Cash Me Ousside” phrase
ran into trouble with Champion. She ripped off the company’s iconic “C” logo for her
own merchandise. They sent her a letter stating that the company needed to protect
its reputation and gave her a week to stop production.
10. High profile celebrities have been spotted wearing Champion gear, including Kanye West and Kylie Jenner.